Better results of artificial neural networks in predicting ČEZ share prices
|Title:||Better results of artificial neural networks in predicting ČEZ share prices|
Vol. 13, No 2, 2020
Published date: 06-2020 (print) / 06-2020 (online)
Journal of International Studies
ISSN: 2071-8330, eISSN: 2306-3483
School of Expertness and Valuation, Institute of Technology and Business in České Budějovice
School of Expertness and Valuation, Institute of Technology and Business in České Budějovice
|Keywords:||time series, prediction, share prices, artificial neural networks, exponential smoothing, Prague Stock Exchange|
|JEL classification:||C22, C45, D53|
The specific objective of the article is to propose a methodology for predicting future price development of the ČEZ, a.s., share prices on Prague Stock Exchange using artificial neural networks and time series exponential smoothing to validate the results on a part of the time series, and to compare the success rate of these two methods. The data used in our analysis is the data on the share prices for the period of 2014-2019. Multilayer perceptron (MLP) and radial basis function (RBF) networks are generated, with the time series time lag of 1, 5, and 10 days. In the case of exponential smoothing of time series, multiplicative models (triple smoothing of time series) are used. Based on residuals and absolute residuals, the best model for share prices’ prediction is chosen. In the case of time series smoothing, the method of exponential smoothing appears to be more successful; however, predictions of the best neural network are significantly more accurate. The resulting neural network can be used in practice to predict future development of ČEZ share prices. The neural network is able to self-train for a certain period of time to provide current and more accurate predictions.
1. Amassoma, D., & Ogbuagu, M. (2018). Exploring the Nexus between Crude Oil Price and Stock Prices in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Case Study of Nigeria. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 6(3), 143-158. https://doi.org/10.15678/EBER.2018.060309
2. Billah, B., King, M.L., Snyder, R.D., & Koehler, A.B. (2006). Exponential smoothing model selection for forecasting. International Journal of Forecasting, 22(2), 239-247. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijforecast.2005.08.002
3. Bishop, Ch.M. (1995). Neural networks for pattern recognition. New York: Oxford University Press.
4. Caridad, D., Hančlová, J., Bousselmi H. W., & López del Río, L.С. (2019). Corporate rating forecasting using Artificial Intelligence statistical techniques. Investment Management and Financial Innovations, 16(2), 295-312. doi:10.21511/imfi.16(2).2019.25
5. Chang, T. (2011). A comparative study of artificial neural networks, and decision trees for digital game content stocks price prediction. Expert Systems with Applications,38(12), 14846-14851. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2011.05.063
6. Chugaiev, O. (2015). National economic image and soft economic power evaluation. Torun International Studies, 1(8), 13-25.
7. Ciak, J., Płókarz, R. (2016). International rating as a creditworthiness measure of a state. Torun International Studies, 1(9), 111-120.
8. Chollet, F. (2019). Deep learning in Python: Keras, Tensorflow libraries. Prague: Grada Publishing.
9. Dash, R., Samal, S., Dash, R.,& Rautray, R. (2019). An integrated TOPSIS crow search based classifier ensemble: In applicationto stock index price movement prediction. Applied Soft Computing,85. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2019.105784
10. Etemadi, H., Ahmadpour, A., & Moshashaei, S.M. (2015). Earnings per share forecast using extracted rules from trained neural network by genetic algorithm. Computational Economics, 46, 55-63. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10614-014-9455-6
11. Gamaliy, V., Shalimova, N., Zhovnovach, R., Zahreba, M., & Levchenko, А. (2018). Exchange rates: the influence of political and economic events. а fundamental analysis approach. Banks and Bank Systems, 13(4), 131-142. doi:10.21511/bbs.13(4).2018.12
12. Gavurova, B., Packova, M., Misankova, M., & Smrcka, L. (2017). Predictive potential and risks of selected bankruptcy prediction models in the Slovak business environment. Journal of Business Economics and Management, 18(6), 1156-1173.
13. Groda, B.,& Vrbka J. (2017). Prediction of stock price developments using the Box-Jenkins method. Paper presented at: SHS Web of Conferences: Innovative Economic Symposium 2017 – Strategic Partnership in International Trade, 39. Ceske Budejovice, Czech Re
14. Halgaonkar, P.S., Wadhai, V.M., & Potgantwar, A.D. (2010). Design analysis and implementation of efficient parameter free algorithm for high quality homogeneous clusters in data mining applications. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Se
15. Hašková, S. (2017). Prediction of future development of share prices using neural networks based on daily and monthly share price data. Mladá Veda,5(9), 33-48.
16. Horák, J. (2019). Using artificial intelligence to analyse businesses in agriculture industry. Paper presented at: SHS Web of Conferences: Innovative Economic Symposium 2018 – Milestones and Trends of World Economy, 61. Beijing, China. doi:https://doi.org
17. Horák, J., & Krulický, T. (2019). Comparison of exponential time series alignment and time series alignment using artificial neural networks by example of prediction of future development of stock prices of a specific company. Paper presented at: SHS Web
18. Klieštik, T., & Majerová, J. (2015). Selected issues of selection of significant variables in the prediction models. Paper presented at: Proceedings of the 10th International Scientific Conference Financial Management of Firms and Financial Institutions,
19. Koutroumanidis, T., Ioannou, K., & Zafeiriou, E. (2011). Forecasting bank stock market prices with a hybrid method: The case of Alpha bank. Journal of Business Economics and Management, 12(1), 144-163. doi: https://doi.org/10.3846/16111699.2011.555388
20. Krawiec, M., Noga, M. (2017). Conceptualizing creative economy. Torun International Studies, 1(10), 127-137.
21. Laboissiere, L.A., Fernandes, R.A.S., & Lage, G.G. (2015). Maximum and minimum stock price forecasting of Brazilian power distribution companies based on artificial neural networks. Applied Soft Computing Journal, 35, 66-74. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j
22. León-Álvarez, A., Betancur-Gómez, J., Jaimes, F., & Grisales-Romero, H. (2017). Ronda clínica y epidemiológica. Series de tiempo interrumpidas. Iatreia, 30(3), 344-351. doi: https://doi.org/10.17533/udea.iatreia.v30n3a11
23. Lertyingyod, W., & Benjamas, N. (2016). Stock price trend prediction using artificial neural network techniques: Case study: Thailand stock exchange. Paper presented at: 2016 International Computer Science and Engineering Conference (ICSEC). Chiang Mai, T
24. Li, Ch., Song, D.J.,& Tao, D.C. (2019). Multi-task recurrent neural networks and higher-order Markov random fields for stock price movement prediction. Paper presented at: KDD'19: Proceedings of the 25th ACMSIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Dis
25. Machová, V., & Vochozka, M. (2018). Value generators of enterprises in the processing industry. Paper presented at: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference Innovation Management, Entrepreneurship and Sustainability (IMES 2018). Prague, Czech Repub
26. Machová, V., & Vochozka, M. (2019). Using artificial intelligence in analysing and predicting the development of stock prices of a subject company. Sustainable Growth and Development of Economic Systems: Contradictions in the Era of Digitalization and Glo
27. Majerčíková, V.,& Bartošová, V. (2012). The methodology for determining the value of a company. Ekonomicko-Manažerské Spectrum, 6(1), 94-99.
28. Marek, L., & Vrabec, M. (2015). ARIMA models and exponential smoothing. Paper presented at: 33rd International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Economics. Cheb, Czech Republic, pp. 502-507.
29. Mettle, F.O., Quaye, E.N.B., & Laryea, R.A. (2014). A methodology for stochastic analysis of share prices as Markov chains with finite states. SpringerPlus, 3(1). doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/2193-1801-3-657
30. Oliveira, F.A., Zarate, L.E., Reis, M.D.,& Nobre, C.N. (2011). The use of artificial neural networks in the analysis and prediction of stock prices. Paper presented at: IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. Anchorage, AK. pp. 215
31. Pai, P.F.,& Lin, C.S. (2005). A hybrid ARIMA and support vector machines model in stock price forecasting. Omega – International Journal of Management Science, 33(6), 497-505.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2004.07.024
32. Pinteric, U. (2017). Understanding political and economic transition in Post-Yugoslav Serbia and Slovenia. Torun International Studies, 1(10), 155-165.
33. Plastun, А., Makarenko, І., Khomutenko, L., Belinska, Y. & Domashenko, M. (2018). Exploring frequency of price overreactions in the Ukrainian stock market. Investment Management and Financial Innovations, 15(3), 157-168. doi:10.21511/imfi.15(3).2018.13
34. Pointer, L., & Khoi, P.D. (2019). Predictors of Return on Assets and Return on Equity for Banking and Insurance Companies on Vietnam Stock Exchange. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 7(4), 185-198.
35. Pulungan, D.P., Wahyudi, S., Suharnomo, S. & Muharam, H. (2018). Technical analysis testing in forecasting Socially Responsible Investment Index in Indonesia Stock Exchange. Investment Management and Financial Innovations, 15(4), 135-143. doi:10.21511/i
36. Qun, Z, Lingyu X.,& Zhang, G. (2017). LSTM neural network with emotional analysis for prediction of stock price. Engineering Letters,25(2), 167-175.
37. Rodrigues, F., Markou, I., & Pereira, F.C. (2019). Combining time-series and textual data for taxi demand prediction in event areas: A deep learning approach. Information Fusion, 49, 120-129. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inffus.2018.07.007
38. Rostan, P.,& Rostan, A. (2018). The versatility of spectrum analysis for forecasting financial time series. Journal of Forecasting, 37(3), 327-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/10.1002/for.2504
39. Redo, M. (2015). An analysis of economic changes in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe belonging to the European Union in the years 2003-2014. Torun International Studies, 1(8), 83-97.
40. Sen, J., & Das, A.K. (2014a). Artificial neural network model for forecasting the stock price of Indian IT company. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 236, 1153-1159. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-81-322-1602-5_121
41. Sen, J., & Das, A.K. (2014b). Artificial neural network model for forecasting the stock price of Indian IT company. Paper presented at: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Soft Computing for Problem Solving. Jaipur, India. pp. 1153-1159. ht
42. Sheelapriya, G., & Murugesan, R. (2017). Stock price trend prediction using Bayesian regularised radial basis function network model. Revista Espanola de Financiacion y Contabilidad, 46(2), 189-211. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02102412.2016.1260859
43. Shi, S., Liu, W., & Jin, M. (2012). Stock price forecasting using a hybrid ARMA and BP neural network and Markov model. Paper presented at: International Conference on Communication Technology Proceedings, ICCT. Chengdu, China, pp. 981-985. doi: https://d
44. Tan, R. Q., Manahov, V., & Thijssen, J. (2017). The effect of ambiguity on the UK stock market: evidence from a new empirical approach. Investment Management and Financial Innovations, 14(4), 133-147 . doi:10.21511/imfi.14(4).2017.12
45. Ticknor, J.L. (2013). A Bayesian regularized artificial neural network for stock market forecasting. Expert Systems with Applications, 40(14), 5501-5506. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2013.04.013
46. Valaskova, K., Kliestik, T., & Kovacova, M. (2018). Management of financial risks in Slovak enterprises using regression analysis. Oeconomia Copernicana, 9(1), 105–121.
47. Vochozka, M., & Horák, J. (2019). Comparison of neural networks and regression time series when estimating the copper price development. Sustainable Growth and Development of Economic Systems,169-181. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-11754-2_13
48. Vochozka, M., Horák, J.,& Šuleř, P. (2019). Equalizing seasonal time series using artificial neural networks in predicting the Euro-Yuan Exchange rate. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 12(2). https://doi.org/10.3390/jrfm12020076
49. Wang, Y.-C., & Nguyen, D.T. (2015). Forecasting stock prices for an emerging market: A case of Vietnam. Paper presented at: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Finance and Economics. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, pp. 190-200.
50. Wu, B., & Duan, T. (2017). A performance comparison of neural networks in forecasting stock price trend. International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, 10(1), 336-346. doi: https://doi.org/10.2991/ijcis.2017.10.1.23
51. Yamashita, T., Hirasawa, K., & Hu, J. (2005). Multi-branch neural networks and its application to stock price prediction. Paper presented at: Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems, 9th International Conference, KES 2005. Melbourn
52. Zheng, J. (2015). Forecast of opening stock price based on Elman neural network. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 46, 565-570. doi: https://doi.org/10.3303/CET1546095