A quantitative study of poplar plantation situation in four Iran provinces
Poplars, a fast-growing species, enjoy a high significance in Iran’s industry. So far, information on poplar plantation, such as area, volume, and harvest, has been obtained by non-scientific and poor methods. A few studies have been conducted to recognize capability of poplar plantation about area, volume, harvest, distribution, and species in three high efficient provinces, i.e., Eastern/ Azerbaijan, Zanjan, Kermanshah, and Ardabil. A Cluster sampling a standard sampling method for conducting similar researches was selected, consisting of two phases. In the first phase we collected library information and half-open interview from villagers. In the second phase field measurement in the villages of these four provinces was considered. Obtained information from field measurement was erected poplar volume, cultivated poplar area, prevalent species and estimating volume via volume and weight tables. Results obtained from the present study indicate that average annual utilization volume of four provinces was 172628.84 m3, with an average error of 14.19 percent.
1. Bagheri, R. (1997). Procurement of weight – volume tables for local poplars of Zanjanrood area. Pazhoohesh and Sazandegi, 36 (in Persian).
2. Bayatkashkooli, A. (2006). Study of poplar low diameter wood market and wood products in Iran. J Iran Nat Res, 59(4), 963-980 (in Persian).
3. Balatinecz, J., & Kretschmann, D. (2001). Properties and utilization of poplar wood, in poplar culture in North America, Part A, Chapter 9, NRC research press, National research council of Canada, Ottawa, ON KIA OR6, Canada, 277-291.
4. Davison, J., & Riggs, W. (2004). Hybrid poplar production 1998-2003 in Eureka and Churchill Counties. In University of Nevada Cooperative Extension, Fact Sheet 05-25.
5. Iran Oasis Records Book. (2007). Population and housing censuses by country. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_and_housing_censuses_by_country#Iran.
6. Iran Statistical Center. (2002). Statistical Yearbook of Iran. Statistical Center of Iran, Affiliated to Management and Planning Organization, Tehran.
7. Koç, K. H., Kurtoğlu, A., & Baki, A. K. S. U. (2001). Regional and international structure of the Turkish forest products foreign trade. In Forest Products Society Annual Meeting in Baltimore.
8. Mills, J. R. (2001). Outlook for the USA. Timber inventory: management, growth and harvest, forest products society 55th Annual Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
9. Mirsadeghi, M., & Hedayati, M. (1988). Make a profit in poplar cultivation systems of Turkey. Forests and Pastures Organization (In Persian).
10. Wood Industry Technical Office. (1992). Iranian poplars funds of forest revitalization and industry development. Forests and pastures organization (In Persian).