Sustainable supply chain of the biomass cluster as a factor for preservation and enhancement of forests
The aim of this article has been to investigate the impact of supply chains on sustainable forest development. The results of the research carried out by the authors show that the supply chain ensures more sustainable use of forests and saves lumber from energy production. The article outlines the synergy between supply chain performance and the sustainable use of forest resources. With balanced supply chain processes, it is possible to achieve the sole usage of wood waste and non-productive wood for the production of energy. The authors of the article have compared the data on Lithuanian and Polish border regions and have developed a model for the supply chain effect on orests’ preservation. The model demonstrates that supply chain reduces the amount of energy used in energy production and increases the use of wood waste to meet the energy needs of society.
2. Anderson, G.Q.A., & Fergusson, M.J. (2006). Energy from biomass in the UK: sources, processes and biodiversity implications. Ibis, 148, 180-183.
3. Andrushkiv, B. M., Vovk, Y. Y., & Vovk, I. P. (2012). Resursonomika: teoretychni ta prykladni aspekty [Resourcenomy: theoretical and applied aspects]. Ternohraf, Ternopil, Ukraine.
4. Aulin, V., Lyashuk, O., Pavlenko, O., Velykodnyi, D., Hrynkiv, A., Lysenko, S., Vovk, Y., & Sokol, M. (2019). Realization of the Logistic Approach in the International Cargo Delivery System. Communications-Scientific letters of the University of Zilina, 2
5. Ayoub, N., Martins, R., Wang, K., Seki, H., & Naka, Y. (2007). Two levels decision system for efficient planning and implementation of bioenergy production. Energy Conversion and Management, 48(3), 709-723.
6. Azizi, M., Mohebbi, N., & Azadfallah, M. (2018). Determining effective criteria on sustainable development of fluting paper making industry. Economics, Management and Sustainability, 3(2), 20-28.
7. Bala Subrahmanya, M.H. (2006). Labour productivity, energy intensity and economic performance in small enterprises: A study of brick enterprises cluster in India. Energy Conversion and Management, 47, 763-777.
8. Baltpool. (2019). Biomass spot price. Retrieved from https://www.baltpool.eu/en/biomass-spot-price/
9. Bringezu, S., O’Brien, M., & Schütz, H. (2012). Beyond biofuels: Assessing global land use for domestic consumption of biomass: A conceptual and empirical contribution to sustainable management of global resources. Land Use Policy, 29(1), 224-232.
10. do Carmo Farinha, L. M., de Matos Ferreira, J. J., & Gouveia, J. J. B. (2014). Innovation and Competitiveness: A High-Tech Cluster Approach. Romanian Review Precision Mechanics, Optics & Mechatronics, 45, 41-48.
11. Ellabban, O., Abu-Rub, H., & Blaabjerg, F. (2014). Renewable energy resources: Current status, future prospects and their enabling technology. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 39, 748-764.
12. Figge, F., & Hahn, T. (2004). Sustainable value added—measuring corporate contributions to sustainability beyond eco-efficiency. Ecological Economics, 48(2), 173-187.
13. Galik, C.S. (2015). Exploring the determinants of emerging bioenergy market participation. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 47, 107-116.
14. Glăvan, B. (2008). Coordination failures, cluster theory, and entrepreneurship: a critical view. The Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics, 11(1), 43-59.
15. Gomes, M.S.P., & Muylaert de Araujo, M.S. (2009). Bio-fuels production and the environmental indicators. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13, 2201–2204.
16. Havrysh, V., Nitsenko, V., Bilan, Y., & Streimikiene, D. (2019). Assessment of optimal location for a centralized biogas upgrading facility. Energy and Environment, 30(3), 462-480. doi:10.1177/0958305X18793110
17. Iakovou, E., Karagiannidis, A., Vlachos, D., Toka, A., Malamakis, A. (2010). Waste biomass-to-energy supply chain management: a critical synthesis. Waste management, 30(10), 1860-1870.
18. Johansson, B. (2013). Security aspects of future renewable energy systems - A short overview. Energy, 61, 598-605.
19. Kot, S., Onyusheva, I., & Grondys, K. (2018). Supply Chain Management in SMEs: Evidence from Poland and Kazakhstan. Engineering Management in Production and Services, 10 (3), 23-36
20. McCauley, S.M., & Stephens, J.C. (2012). Green energy clusters and socio-technical transitions: analysis of a sustainable energy cluster for regional economic development in Central Massachusetts, USA. Sustainability Science, 7, 213–225.
21. Murphy, F., Devlin, G., & McDonnell, K. (2014). Forest biomass supply chains in Ireland: A life cycle assessment of GHG emissions and primary energy balances. Applied Energy, 116, 1-8.
22. Oró, E., Depoorter, V., Garcia, A., & Salom, J. (2015). Energy efficiency and renewable energy integration in data centres. Strategies and modelling review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 42, 429-445.
23. Piriou, B. (2007). Catalytically assisted gasification of biomass. [in:] Proceeding of 30th meeting on Combustion of the Italian Section of the Combustion Institute, Istituto di Ricerche sulla Combustione, Napoli, Italy.
24. Rabe, M., Streimikiene, D., & Bilan, Y. (2019). The Concept of risk and possibilities of application of mathematical methods in supporting decision making for sustainable energy development. Sustainability, 11(4), 1018.
25. Rentizelas, A.A., Tolis, A.J., & Tatsiopoulos, I.P. (2009). Logistics issues of biomass: The storage problem and the multi-biomass supply chain. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13(4), 887-894.
26. Sharma, B., Ingalls, R.G., Jones, C.L., & Khanchi, A. (2013). Biomass supply chain design and analysis: basis, overview, modeling, challenges, and future. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 24, 608-627.
27. Simionescu, M., Albu, L. L., Raileanu Szeles, M., & Bilan, Y. (2017). The impact of biofuels utilisation in transport on the sustainable development in the European Union. Technological and Economic Development of Economy, 23(4), 667-686.
28. Srovnalíková, P., Havierniková, K., & Guščinskiene, J. (2018). Assessment of reasons for being engaged in clusters in terms of sustainable development. Journal of Security and Sustainability Issues, 8(1), 103-112.
29. Streimikiene, D., Simionescu, M., & Bilan, Y. (2019). The Impact of Biodiesel Consumption by Transport on Economic Growth in the European Union. Engineering Economics, 30(1), 50-58.
30. Štreimikienė, D., Strielkowski, W., Bilan, Y., & Mikalauskas, I. (2016). Energy dependency and sustainable regional development in the Baltic States: A review. Geographica Pannonica, 20(2), 79-87.
31. Szegedi, Z., Gabriel, M., & Papp, I. (2017). Green supply chain awareness in the hungarian automotive industry. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 16(1), 259-268.
32. Toklu, E. (2017). Biomass energy potential and utilization in Turkey. Renewable Energy, 107, 235-244.
33. Yue, D., You, F., & Snyder, S.W. (2014). Biomass-to-bioenergy and biofuel supply chain optimization: overview, key issues and challenges. Computers & Chemical Engineering, 66, 36-56.