Prediction of EUR/AZN exchange rate dynamics on the basis of spectral characterıstıcs
|Title:||Prediction of EUR/AZN exchange rate dynamics on the basis of spectral characterıstıcs|
Vol. 13, No 2, 2020
Published date: 06-2020 (print) / 06-2020 (online)
Journal of International Studies
ISSN: 2071-8330, eISSN: 2306-3483
Baku State University
Baku State University
|Keywords:||Fourier series, regressive analysis, correlation analysis, t-Student criterion, F-test, Darbin–Watson test, determination factor, Spearman rank correlation factor, prediction|
|JEL classification:||C10, C14, C15, C53, F31|
Herein, we establish the most appropriate model of exchange rate dynamics using computer modeling, mean-error indicators of approximation, and the average quadratic divergence with the Fourier series approach and time-dependent behavior in a time series. This study was based on 360 daily observations of EUR/AZN currency exchanges covering the time period 03.02.2017–03.08.2018. Our main assumptions were: (1) the ability to describe the global dynamics of exchange rates by approximating the combinations of the linear trend and harmonic oscillations of various frequencies relative to this line; and (2) the possibility of developing a high-precision algorithm for short-term forecasting of changes in exchange rates. Harmonious oscillations were separated by using methods for the harmonic analysis of the table error in MS EXCEL. Eviews was used to calculate statistical estimates of the coefficients of factor variables with the types of sines and cosines that are suitable for all possible frequencies. Dynamic forecasting of exchange rates was enabled by setting up harmonious oscillatory models with straight-line trends. The necessary statistical procedures were implemented for authentication of the established models, evaluation of parameters, and verification of the algorithm’s adequacy.
1. Anderson, T.W. (1971). The statistical analysis of time series.John Wiley and Sons. Inc.New York London Sydney Toronto.
2. Barucci, E., & Reno, R. (2002). On measuring volatility and the GARCH forecasting performance. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 12(3), 183-200.
3. Box, G.E.P., Jarkins, G.M., & Reinsel, G.C. (1994). Time series Analysis. Forecasting and Control, third edition. Prektice Hall, Upper Saddle River , Nen Jersey.
4. Calvet, L. (1997). Multifractality of Deutschemarek/US Dollar Exchange Rates. L. Calvet, A. Fisher, B. Mandelbrat Cowles Foundation Discussion Paper-Yale University, 1166, 1-23.
5. Cryer, J. D., & Chen, K. (2008). Time Series Analysis with Applications in R. Chapter 13.Introduction to Spectral Analysis .Springer-Verlag New York 2008.
6. Dolinar, A. L. (2013). Spectral Analysis of Exchange Rates. International Journal of Organizational Leadership, 2(1), 21-28.
7. Granger, C. W. J., & Hatanaka, M. (2015). Spectral Analysis of Economic Time Series.(PSME-1) (Vol. 2066). Princeton university press.
8. Grzesica, D., & Więcek, P. (2016). Advanced Forecasting Methods Based on Spectral Analysis. Procedia engineering, 161, 253-258.
9. Hassani, H., & Thomakos, D. (2010). A review on singular spectrum analysis for economic and financial time series. Statistics and its Interface, 3(3), 377-397.
10. Kedadouche, M., Thomas, M., & Tahan, A. J. M. S. (2016). A comparative study between Empirical Wavelet Transforms and Empirical Mode Decomposition Methods: Application to bearing defect diagnosis. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 81, 88-107.
11. Koopmans , L.H. (1974). The Spectral Analysis of the Series. New York: Academic Press.
12. Lopatin, A. K., & Chernenko, O. B. (2010). Sistemnyi analiz ekonomicheskikh tsiklov Ukrainy, Rossii, Germanii, SSHA na fone mirovogo finansovogo krizisa 2007-2009 gg.(statisticheskie aspekty)[System analysis of the economic cycles of Ukraine, Russia, Germ
13. Manasseh, C. O., Ogbuabor, J. E., Abada, F. C., Okoro, O. E., Egele, A. E., & Onwumere, J. U. (2019). Analysis of oil price oscillations, exchange rate dynamics and economic performance. International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, 9(1), 95-106.
14. Obara, T. (2004). Dynamics of exchange rate fluctuations between Yen and the US-Dollar. Applied Econometrics and International Development, 4(1). 95-104.
15. Orudzhev, E. G. (2000). The resolvent and spectrum for a class of differential operators with periodic coefficients. Functional Analysis and Its Applications, 34(3), 232-234.
16. Orudzhev, E. G. (2009). About some actual mathematical aspects in studying financial markets. News of Baku University, series of physic-mathematical sciences, 3, 45-49. http://static.bsu.az/w8/Xeberler%20Jurnali/riyaz%20%202009%20%203/45-49_curves.pdf
17. Orudzhev, E. G., Mamedova, L. M., & Suleymanov, O. E. (2018). About econometric analysis of factors affecting the change in the USD/ AZN Rate. Caspian Journal of Applied Mathematics, Ecology and Economics, 6(2), 99-109.
18. Orudzhev, E. G., & İsazadeh, A. (2018). Comparative analysis of relationship of the course of the Azerbaijani manatand its major macroeconomic determinants. Actual Problems of Economics, 3(201), 94-104.
19. Orudzhev, E. G., Mammadova, L. M., & Gulmammadova, G. A. (2013). Spasmodic spectral problems for money saving equations. Caspian journal of applied mathematics, ecology and economics, 1(2), 84-87.
20. Urbanovsky, T. (2015). Factors behind the Russian ruble depreciation. Procedia Economics and Finance, 26, 242-248.
21. Verbeek, M. (2012). A guide to modern econometrics. John Wiley & Sons.