Plastic recycling and waste reduction in the hospitality industry: Current challenges and some potential solutions
|Title:||Plastic recycling and waste reduction in the hospitality industry: Current challenges and some potential solutions|
Vol 4 No 1 (2019)
Published date: 30-04-2019 (print) / 30-04-2019 (online)
Economics, Management and Sustainability
University of Nevada Las Vegas
Fort Hays State University
|Keywords:||Ecology, environment, hospitality, tourism, plastic waste, recycling, sustainability|
|JEL classification:||Q53, Q56, Q57|
Every year, the hospitality industry creates millions of tons of avoidable waste globally. While conspicuous consumption is the hallmark of the industry, leaders of the industry have come to the realization that it cannot go on forever. Added to that, the surge of eco-conscious guests and other pressure groups provide the industry players an increased level of impetus for introducing positive change in terms of waste reduction and recycling. Employing a combination of systematic literature review and grounded case studies, this paper addresses the current effort the hospitality industry is undertaking to reduce waste and recycle plastic goods and the challenges to be overcome in that process. To explain the contemporary practice, it brings in examples of hotels, resorts, and restaurants chains that are presently implementing recycling or reducing waste programs.
1. Anantara, Avani Hotels to end the use of plastic straws. (2017). TradeArabia, p. TradeArabia, Dec 21, 2017.
2. Anonymous. (2009). CityCenter's Aria and Vdara First Las Vegas Hotels to Achieve LEED(R) Gold Certification. PR Newswire, p. 14.
3. Anonymous. (2009). Eliminating Bottled Water. Sacramento Observer, p. F3A.
4. Baker, M., Davis, E., & Weaver, P. (2014). Eco-friendly Attitudes, Barriers to Participation, and Differences in Behavior at Green Hotels. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 55(1), 89-99.
5. Begley, S. (2008, July 14). True or false: Global warming is A cause of this year's extreme weather. Newsweek, 152 Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/214250568?accountid=3611
6. Bolton, B., McCart, P., & Morrish, L. (2007). The question / The solutions. Caterer & Hotelkeeper, 197(4458), 66.
7. Cartier, D. (1997). Mixed waste sorting in Las Vegas. BioCycle, (1), 32-33.
8. Cornell, C. (2014). Six reasons hotels are taking the LEED. National Post (Index-only), p. N/a.
9. Corral-Verdugo, V., & Frías-Armenta, M. (2016, August). The sustainability of positive environments. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 18(4), 965-984. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-015-9701-7
10. County’s waste agency helps hotels recycle. (Onondaga County, New York) (Brief Article). (1999). American City & County, 114(15), 17.
11. Diaz, J. (2012). Save the Plastic Bag Coalition v. City of Manhattan Beach: California Supreme Court Answers More Than “Paper or Plastic?” in Major Decision on Corporate Standing under CEQA. Ecology Law Quarterly, 39(2), 627–634. Retrieved from http://ezp
12. Du Pisani, J.A. (2006). Sustainable development - historical roots of the concept. Environmental Sciences, 3(2), 83-96.
13. EPA Awards MGM Resorts for Food Recycling Program. (2011). Food and Beverage Close - Up, pp. Food and Beverage Close - Up, Nov 18, 2011.
14. Erickson, K. (2018). Resorting to recycling. Journal of Business, 33(18), 11-16.
15. Garcia, J., & Robertson, M. (2017). The future of plastics recycling. Science (New York, N.Y.), 358(6365), 870-872.
16. Goldstein, K.A. and Primlani, R.V. (2012). Current trends and opportunities in hotel sustainability. Retrieved from www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4054752.html.
17. Golubovskaya, M., Robinson, R. N. S., & Solnet, D. (2017). The meaning of hospitality: Do employees understand? International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 29(5), 1282-1304. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-11-2015-0667
18. Hamilton, T. (2012). Scoring the world’s economic powerhouse. Corporate Knights. The Magazine for Clean Capitalism. Sept. 18, 2012.
19. Hertzfeld, Esther. (2010). Make guest recycling easy for better compliance. (Hotel Operations: Housekeeping Services). Hotel & Motel Management, 225(12), 22-23.
20. Hill, J. (2011). Online forum offers ideas to kick-start Sustainability initiatives within smaller companies. Corporate Report Wisconsin, 26(4), 10. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/851252422?acc
21. Holmes, B. (2017). Towards zero waste. New Scientist, 235(3135), 42.
22. Hotel encourages staff to create beautiful world of art using trash. (2010). Instablogs, p. Instablogs, Jul 9, 2010.
23. IHG to Remove Plastic Straws from Hotels Worldwide. (2018, October 11). Targeted News Service (USA). Available from NewsBank: https://infoweb-newsbank-com.ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/apps/news/document-view?p=AWNB&docref=news/16F0266031387AA8.
24. International Plastic Recycling Groups Announce Global Definition of Plastics Recyclability. (2018, July 12). Targeted News Service (USA). Available from NewsBank: https://infoweb-newsbank-com.ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/apps/news/document-view?p=WORLDNEWS&d
25. International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (1980). World conservation strategy. Retrieved from https://portals.iucn.org/library/efiles/documents/WCS-004.pdf
26. Johnston, D., & Breech, P. (2010). An Introduction to LEED Certification for Hotels. Lodging Hospitality, p. Lodging Hospitality, Oct 6, 2010.
27. Jones, P., Hillier, D., & Comfort, D. (2014). Sustainability in the global hotel industry. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 26(1), 5-17. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docv
28. Khurram, S., Burney, O. T., Morrissey, R. C., & Jacobs, D. F. (2017). Bottles to trees: Plastic beverage bottles as an alternative nursery growing container for reforestation in developing countries. PLoS ONE, 12(5), 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.
29. Koch, Wendy. (2013). At Starbucks: Paper or plastic? (MONEY)(Starbucks Corp.). USA Today, p. 02B.
30. Korstanje, M. E., & George, B. (2012). Sustainable Tourism and Global Warming: panacea, excuse, or just an accidental connection?. Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 4(4), 383-394.
31. Korstanje, M. E., & George, B. (2012). Global warming and tourism: chronicles of apocalypse?. Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 4(4), 332-355.
32. Korstanje, M. E., & George, B. (2015). The Impossible Sustainability: Applications of relational perspective in tourism fields. Ecoforum Journal, 4(1), 2-9.
33. Kukulka, A. (2018). Local coffee shops, restaurants consider eco-friendly alternatives to plastic straws. TCA Regional News, p. TCA Regional News, Jul 25, 2018.
34. Lauren Said-Moorhouse. (2018). McDonald's to scrap plastic straws in UK and Ireland. CNN Wire, p. CNN Wire, June 15, 2018.
35. Le Page, M. (2018). Plastic bag ban is no plan for a green future. (climate change mitigation) (Insight. New Scientist, 237(3161), 25-25.
36. Lewis, D. (2011, March). Sustainable meaning. ColoradoBiz, 38(3), C3-C4. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/858092374?accountid=3611
37. Lindsey, T. (2011, March). Sustainable principles: Common values for achieving sustainability. Journal of Cleaner Production, 19(5), 561-565.
38. Liu Qinghou, & Min Yunbao. (2012). Waste plastic recycling process method. Marriott International 2011-2012 Sustainability Report Highlights Youth Employment Initiatives and Preserving the Environment. (2012). PR Newswire, p. PR Newswire, Aug 28, 2012.
39. Matisoff, D., Noonan, D., & Mazzolini, A. (2014). Performance or marketing benefits? The case of LEED certification. Environmental Science & Technology, 48(3), 2001-7.
40. Meyer, Z. (2018). Starbucks plans to scrap plastic straws by 2020. USA Today, p. 01B.
41. MGM Resorts International Joins American Business Act on Climate Pledge. (2015). PR Newswire, p. PR Newswire, Aug 25, 2015.
42. MGM resorts international ranked one of the top 100 greenest companies by newsweek magazine. (2014, Jun 06). PR Newswire Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/1533168670?accountid=3611
43. Milios, Leonidas, Davani, Aida E., & Yu, Yi. (2018). Sustainability Impact Assessment of Increased Plastic Recycling and Future Pathways of Plastic Waste Management in Sweden. Recycling, 3(3), 33-0.
44. Millar, M., & Baloglu, S. (2011). Hotel Guests’ Preferences for Green Guest Room Attributes. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 52(3), 302-311.
45. Monterey Bay Aquarium Builds Life-Sized Blue Whale Art Installation Made From Discarded Single-Use Plastic to Raise Awareness About Ocean Pollution. (2018, October 11). Targeted News Service (USA). Available from NewsBank: https://infoweb-newsbank-com.ezp
46. Pacheco, Ronchetti, & Masanet. (2012). An overview of plastic recycling in Rio de Janeiro. Resources, Conservation & Recycling, 60, 140-146.
47. P. J. (1958, October 05). Travel association studies tourism census. New York Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/11 4525007?accountid=3611
48. Plastics - the environmental solution, not the problem. (1992, March 30). The Christian Science Monitor (Pre-1997 Fulltext) Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/291196234?accountid=3611
49. Povich, E. (2018). Starbucks to Scrap Plastic Straws. TCA Regional News, p. TCA Regional News, Jul 10, 2018.
50. Press Release: Hilton Worldwide Deepens Global Commitment to Waste Solutions and Recycling Through Partnership with Clean the World. (2015). Dow Jones Institutional News, p. Dow Jones Institutional News, Apr 17, 2015.
51. Press Release: Hyatt Announces Global Efforts to Reduce Single-Use Plastics. (2018). Dow Jones Institutional News, p. Dow Jones Institutional News, Jul 9, 2018.
52. Press Release: Marriott International Unveils Global Sustainability and Social Impact Commitments to Deliver Positive Change. (2017). Dow Jones Institutional News, p. Dow Jones Institutional News, Oct 31, 2017.
53. Rochman, C. M., Browne, M. A., Halpern, B. S., Hentschel, B. T., Hoh, E., Karapanagioti, H. K., … & Thompson, R. C. (2013, February 14). Policy: Classify plastic waste as hazardous. Nature, 494(7436), 169–171. https://doi.org/10.1038/494169a
54. Russell, K. (2007). LEED Certification. Computerworld, 41(36), 44.
55. Sardon, H., & Dove, A. (2018). Plastics recycling with a difference. Science (New York, N.Y.), 360(6387), 380-381.
56. Schlossberg, T. (2016, November 01). A steep price for bottled water. New York Times. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/1834339264?accountid=3611
57. Shamah, D. (2008, Oct 30). Israel's building its first 'eco-friendly' town. Washington Jewish Week Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/220862607?accountid=3611
58. Sloan, P., Legrand, W., Chen, J., & ScienceDirect. (2009). Sustainability in the hospitality industry: Principles of sustainable operations (1st ed.). Amsterdam; Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann/Elsevier
59. Sloan, P., Legrand, W., & Chen, I.J. (2013), Sustainability in the Hospitality Industry: Principles of Sustainable Operations, Routledge, London.
60. Seven Innovative plans to reduce plastic waste. (2011, October 25). Instablogs (Shimla, India). Available from NewsBank: https://infoweb-newsbank-com.ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/apps/news/document-view?p=AWNB&docref=news/158CAF6DD5FCF7A0
61. The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company Introduces Environmentally-Friendly Water Bottles at its North American and Select Caribbean Hotels; A Breakthrough in Reducing Plastic Bottle Use. (2010). Targeted News Service, p. Targeted News Service, Jun 17, 2010.
62. Valenzuela, F., & Böhm, S. (2017, March). Against wasted politics: A critique of the circular economy. Ephemera, 17(1), 23-60. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/1888705754?accountid=3611
63. Wagner, T. (2017). Reducing single-use plastic shopping bags in the USA. Waste Management, 70, 3-12.
64. Wenche A., Tuomas A., Kirsi A., Andreas K., & Bjorn A. (2017). Project sustainability strategies: A systematic literature review, 35(6), 1071-1083
65. Which are the most sustainable countries in the world? (2012, September 19). PR Newswire Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/1040966233?accountid=3611
66. Zank, A. (2016, April 21). Road builders saving money, resources with recycling practices. The Daily Reporter Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/1784367897?accountid=3611
67. Zisman, J. (2018, 03). Satisfy the needs of your multi-generational workforce. Employee Benefits and Wellness Excellence Essentials, Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.unlv.edu/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/2043755707?accountid=3611